Friday 29 March 2013

Teaching Mathematics in the 21st Century


             I remembered being taught the 5 content standards like geometry and measurement and even till now as a preschool educator, I'm teaching the students the same thing again. We can see that these content standards will remain even till the future. Not to forget, they are being taught in every level we are in too. Measurement is indeed a very popular topic and is greatly integrated in topics like science and language in young children's learning. 

            As the NCTM provides us with the Principles and Standards for School Mathematics, I believe that all teachers are making use of these six principles given  in educating young children in learning Mathematics. With these standards, every child is always given the opportunity to explore with the various mathematical concepts. Learning mathematics is not simple. I remembered being a child and my teacher just explaining the concept without any visual cues, I was definitely lost at that point of time. I feel that teachers should make use of the learning principle where teachers provide lots of experiences in the classroom making sure children understood the concept. Understanding the mathematical concept taught is very crucial as we know that math is everywhere. From my past experiences, it has lead me to have the positive attitude , persistence, and being reflective. This chapter explains it all and I believe strongly that by doing so, we will educate these young children better in not only understanding Mathematics but loving and enjoying the subject.




             However, I find that our Singapore government should work closely with the preschool teachers and understand mathematics for younger children. They have been stressing the children in this era in knowing the mathematical concept which are beyond their capabilities. It stated in this chapter that NCTM has  developed related standards documents about teaching where teachers made use of these resources in creating a classroom that supports teaching. However, when I flashback to how I learnt Math, I'm basically just trying to remember the formula and trying to get the grades to pass the exams without actually understanding them. Then what's the point of the major components that are needed to develop mathematical understanding when I don't see that happening in Primary and Secondary school as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment